Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Put down the sticks!!!!

Wow I'm sure learning a lot about myself these days....it's exhausting in a good way!!

I was exercising last night on my spin bike (instead of snacking because that's what I really wanted to do as I was disappointed about something hmmm interesting link) and I realized when I closed my eyes that the image I had was these little gremlins with sticks surrounding my spin bike while I cycled.  I thought that was a rather interesting and yet disturbing image and I really had to think about it and write about it.  I don't want my exercise to be a punishment or have any negative emotions tied to it.  I don't want to think about the treat that I just burned off or that I've burned enough calories to eat a treat.  I don't want my fitness to be about 'evening out the scales' so to speak.  I desire a positive and healthy balance with my thoughts, my eating and my fitness.

I am a trainer and I've got the eduMacation to know about effective program planning, nutrition, and have a gift to movitate others but I too am human and suffer the same emotions many of us go through.  I know it's not only women that go through this but I will speak to you ladies - put down the sticks you're beating yourselves up with; I am.  I most certainly would not be training you with a stick in my hand and speaking negative words at you so why would I allow this subconscious stream of thoughts to be happening within me?

Start looking at JUST TODAY.  What did you do that was healthy?  Put that down in writing.  I use my Outlook calendar and just track the amount of time I exercised and the method (spinning, running etc).  It makes me feel like I've really accomplished something big no matter how small.  If you parked 1/2 block away from the school write that down.  Did you eat a healthy breakfast instead of a sugary cereal on the run.  Did you meditate for five minutes?  Did you take an hour to study for an exam which is stressing you out?  Did you find the courage to confront a situation that you're avoiding which is finding you snacking in front of late night t.v.?  When you were getting dressed what self-talk was going through your head when you saw your reflection something negative or positive?  It's not too late to start your day over right now.

Today I'm trying to focus only on positive thoughts.  I'm going to go now and type in my 50 minutes of spinning, pat myself on the back and drink a protein packed smoothie!  YA Me!  I feel such gratitude for my body, my mind and my health.  I wish you a beautiful and healthy day and may your hands be light and empty of sticks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment